Oh boy, this is one delicious sandwich. The eggplant is roasted, not fried like many sandwich shops, but it’s still one of the best eggplant sandwiches I have ever tasted.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- one large eggplant
- olive oil
- 720 ml strained tomatoes
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- goat cheese
- 4 ciabatta buns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Brush each round with oil, place on an oiled baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the preheated oven for 7 minutes. Flip rounds and place back in the oven until done, approximately 5 minutes.
- While eggplant is roasting, simmer strained tomatoes in a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add red pepper flakes and basil. Simmer until sauce is reduced to the desired thickness, approximately 15 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Lightly toast ciabatta buns. Spread goat cheese on the top and bottom of each bun. Stack layers of roasted eggplant on the bun spooning a small amount of tomato sauce between each layer.
- Serve with additional sauce for dipping.
If a less messy sandwich is desired, skip the sauce on the sandwich and only serve the sauce on the side for dipping.
Side suggestions: leafy green salad and roasted cauliflower, the cauliflower is delicious dipped in the tomato sauce.