You may be surprised these flourless brownies are actually healthy to eat. They’re high in protein, rich in fiber, low fat, and the cocoa is a great mood booster. To make it even better, this recipe is so simple to prepare, you just need to blend all the ingredients in a food processor and bake. They’re a perfect treat after a long day at work, but be prepared, you may not be able to stop yourself from eating the whole batch.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 to 8 brownies
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 banana
- 2 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grapeseed oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium pot, add the quinoa and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and let cool in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan or an 8-inch square cake pan, or line with parchment paper.
- Add all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth, pour into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the center of oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. After 15 mintues, rotate the pan to get a uniform bake. After 25 minutes test to see if the brownies are finished by inserting a fork into the centre; if it comes out clean it's finished.
- If you used parchment paper, remove from pan and cool on a rack. Otherwise, cool in the pan for 10 minutes.